If you’re considering self-storage for your belongings, knowing how to pack effectively can make all the difference. After all, proper packing not only protects your items but also maximises your space and minimises your cost. So, in this post, we're sharing the dos and don'ts of packing for self-storage to help you get the most out of your storage experience.
From choosing the right containers to labelling your boxes, we'll cover everything you need to know to best pack your storage unit. Whether you’re moving home, packing up your office, or travelling the world, we’re here to provide you with not just the space but the top tips as well; read on to discover how Kangaroo can help you.
Efficient Packing Techniques
Efficiently packing your items is crucial when making the most of your self-storage space. So, to prepare your belongings for self-storage during the packing stage:
- DO disassemble and stack furniture. If possible, take apart large furniture items such as bed frames and tables as this will save space and make them easier to transport and store.
- DO utilise vertical space. Maximising vertical space is a great way to optimise your storage unit. Stack boxes and furniture vertically, starting with the heaviest items at the bottom and gradually working your way up.
- DO fill empty spaces. Don't let any space go to waste! Fill empty gaps in boxes, furniture, and storage bins with smaller items, pillows, or soft furnishings. This will help prevent any shifting during transportation and storage.
- DON’T use different-sized boxes. By using boxes of the same size, you can easily stack and arrange them neatly in your storage unit, creating a more organised and efficient space.
Essential Packing Supplies
Using the right packing supplies is crucial for the safety and security of your stored items; here is what we recommend:
- DO use sturdy boxes. Invest in quality cardboard boxes that can withstand the weight of your belongings, and avoid using damaged or worn-out boxes as they may not provide adequate protection.
- DON’T forget labels and markers. Labelling your boxes is essential for easy identification when retrieving items. Be sure to include a clear description of the contents and any necessary handling instructions.
- DO buy bubble wrap and packing paper. Wrap and cushion fragile items, glassware, and electronics with bubble wrap or packing paper to prevent damage during transit and storage.
- DO secure with packing tape. Secure your boxes with strong packing tape to keep them intact and provide extra stability during stacking.
You can purchase all the packing materials you will ever need at Kangaroo Self Storage Box Shops located at each of our storage facilities.
Implementing effective organisational strategies will make it easier for you to access and retrieve items whenever needed. Consider the following top tips from our storage experts:
- DO categorise your items. Sort your belongings into kitchenware, clothing, electronics, etc. This will help you keep track of your items and make retrieval easier.
- DO use a colour-coded system. Use different coloured labels or markers to categorise and identify boxes belonging to specific categories. For example, green for kitchen items and red for electronics, as this will help you quickly locate specific items.
- DON’T underestimate the power of an inventory. Develop a basic inventory of the items you are storing. You can use a spreadsheet or simply jot down a list on paper to serve as a reference point when you need to find something quickly.
Keeping your stored items safe and secure is of utmost importance, and at Kangaroo, we take this incredibly seriously. We recommend you follow these security measures when packing for self-storage:
- DO choose a secure facility. Opt for a storage facility like Kangaroo Self Storage with 24-hour CCTV surveillance, burglar alarms, and smoke detectors. Knowing that your belongings are being monitored will give you peace of mind.
- DON’T forget to lock your unit. Use a sturdy padlock to secure your storage unit, and don’t forget to lock it before you leave.
Insurance and Documentation
Insuring your stored items and maintaining proper documentation is crucial to protecting your belongings. As we cannot insure your belongings for you, you must consider the following:
- DO organise insurance coverage. Ensure your belongings are adequately covered by insurance. Check with your insurance provider to see if your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy extends coverage to items in self-storage.
- DO document your belongings. Before packing them for self-storage, create an inventory of your items. This includes taking photographs or video recordings and making a detailed list, including any serial numbers or unique identifiers. This documentation will be invaluable in case of loss or damage.
- DO keep copies of important documents. Although your documents are safe with us, we always recommend storing copies of important documents such as contracts, receipts, and insurance policies digitally or in a safe place outside the storage unit.
Storing Safely at Kangaroo Self Storage
At Kangaroo, your peace of mind is our priority, which is why our storage experts are always on hand to answer your questions and help out wherever we’re needed. You can visit our storage stores at these locations:
Or, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to help you prepare for storing with us.